World Of Warcraft

My Ramblings and Occasional Ranting
About Achievements, Addiction and Guild Administration

Thursday, July 15, 2010

32 Things about me


1. I  am 50% Irish -descended from English,Irish, Scottish and Welsh stock. My ancestors has been breeding the Irish out for generations... In one crazy moment I bred it back in - my son is 75% Irish

2. I am the middle born child of three. Both of my siblings are brothers. Mum and Dad must just have got lucky with me.



3. Both parents are alive and doing well. I heard once about someone who put their initials on the bottom of all the furniture and things they wanted when their parents died. I've called dibs on everything and given assurances to my brothers that they can fight over anything I don't want. (see i can share :P)
However I have told my mummy she isn't allowed to die.... I will just collect it all when she goes do-lally

4. I have an obsession with cats: I played a game called knighthood on facebook until I got to Marquise (then lost interest because I had my cat- not to mention it was getting tiresome due to bullies), I have pictures of wild and domesticated cats around the house, I have several Franklin Mint plates anyone else remember them?   I own four cats and I desperately tried to talk my parents into being a foster parent to a baby tiger when the zoo needed one... they didn't let me!
Oh and once upon a time I insisted if I died prematurely that I had to be put on ice and sent to Africa to be fed to the lions (yea i was young and didn't know any better alright!)... Born free made me cry - but then who didn't cry... actually if Born Free didn't make you cry leave my blog this moment you heathen!


5. I trained to be a Padi Dive Instructor. I discovered during a pre 30's mid-lifer that I love diving (something I had never tried before). Alas I haven't been down for a couple of years due to a variety of factors (costs for diving vs costs of mortgage payments, got to fat for dive suit, health issues, lost touch with the people I use to dive with and wont go alone... etc etc...) Actually now I have written them down cost for charters/gear hire is really the only valid excuse anymore ... I really SHOULD pull my finger out and start diving again... even if only very rarely. It is one of the greatest things I have ever experienced. Restful, relaxing and exhilarating at the same time.

6. I love the smell of Vanilla. For my 30th a friend made me this fabulous pack of token things relating to things that she knew about me or that had happened in the time we had been friends. Vanilla beans, vanilla body wash etc (I wont explain the possum skin bikini)


7. Coffee is my drink.... I love it. I am also easier to love if my caffeine levels are kept high. Withhold coffee at your peril


8. My Dad was in the Airforce -bomb disposal -  I am an airforce brat!

9. I have been engaged three times and never married.
      a) aged 20 - I realised I had only said yes because he asked and when I thought about it I realised I couldn't see myself growing old with this person. Exit stage right (thankfully before the invitations were sent out)
     b) aged 28 - I met him on the Internet. He moved to NZ from Canada, returned a year later to prepare for my emigrating and finalise his divorce so we could do the whole happily ever after...  in the meantime I was replaced by a newer, younger, conveniently located in the same country for nookie female. These days I consider it a lucky save.
    c) Now - I am engaged to my partner and have been for several years. We might get married in the future... if we are right for each other. Silly to rush these things.

10. My sons father was not one of my betrothed. Incidentally it is just as well he wasn't born in Ireland because his father comes from Protestant lines and his mother from Roman Catholic....

11. My favorite singer is Freddy Mercury FULLSTOP

12. I am a Jack (or should that be Jill) of all trades and a Master of none. I never attended University as a student. However I have worked in a cattery, managed a takeaways, managed a bakery, worked in pubs, picked strawberries and grapes, Ive driven a forklift, sold paint and wallpaper, advised on interior decoration, managed a garden centre, worked at the university as an exam supervisor and also in student admin. and for my main work I have been in banking, Administration, Insurance and Financial planning advice and am now in Tenancy. When I was growing up I wanted to be a Vet - until I did work experience at a Vet clinic and discovered its not like "All Creatures great and small"

13. My most prized book was given to me as a small child by my Grandmother. It now sports the crayon drawings and ramblings of a small girl (me) one such rambling says "I like daddy" in a pretty red crayon. My favorite poem in the book is :
Halfway down the stairs

Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair where I sit:
There isn't any other stair quite like it.
I'm not at the bottom,
I'm not at the top:
So this is the stair where I always stop.
Halfway up the stairs
Isn't up, and isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery, it isn't in the town:
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head:
"It isn't really anywhere! It's somewhere else instead!"




15.My mother once washed my mouth out with soap for using a "Bad" word.(that's what they did in the 70's) Obviously being the little madam I was I then proceeded to spit on everything to get the taste out of my mouth. I don't recall if she ever did it again, maybe it worked and I didn't say a bad word again or maybe she decided the clean up wasn't worth it. I think I was about 8 or 9

16. I have never smoked tobacco or marijuana.... OK I lie - I smoke like a chimney... and yes I did smoke pot in my misguided youth.


17. I have two dogs who are my "babies" and as naughty as i was as a teenager ( but in doggie terms, obviously they don't climb out windows to go to parties!) One is a basset hound X and the other is a Staffi X. I Love them to bits. Want unconditional love? - get a Dog.

18.I love to Garden. There is something wonderful about seeing a picture in your head and then putting it to landscape and watching it fill in the gaps over time. I mourn that I am not an artist, sculptor. musician, poet or a writer but I have my garden. This is one place i can express my creativity...well right up until the dogs go and dig for tennis balls in it throwing the plants left right and centre or the Basset decides that all plants should be Bonsai and sets about pruning trees to fulfil her creativity. Then I cry a little and start all over again. Plants are very forgiving - even of dogs.

19. I love the feeling of freedom. For me when I think about feeling truly free i think of things like:
a) when you're diving in the ocean in a kelp field, swaying left and right with the tide, no weight, no worries, no responsibilities. Just tranquility
b) Riding on the back of a motorbike with your arms wrapped around the person in front. The wind whipping at your clothes and  the drizzling rain hitting your face like sharp little needles as you ride on. your mind can drift off to other places and you feel free.
c) Water... I love water. Baths, pools, oceans. let me lie back and close my eyes and I feel free.


20.A couple of my fears –
a)Heights (Why do people want to take themselves off a perfectly safe surface like the planet and throw themselves out of planes? Daft sods) At its worst I have difficulty walking over a bridge that has gaps between the timbers. Something like the one pictured would give me conniptions... see the gaps? I SEE THE GAPS!

b) Not being a good mum
c)Spiders... OK I'm not worried about all spiders. Daddylonglegs, little jumping spiders or even  white tailed spiders I'm cool with. But a garden spider or an Avondale spider or a Tarantulas....FREAK. My brother worked at the museum some many years ago and they had a Display of Tarantula which we all had to go and look at. My son who was a toddler at the time was fascinated and wanted to play. My brother (who is obviously a Fool) actually got to handle one... As for me, I couldn't even stand close to the escape proof cabinet they were in. Maybe from a distance they looked bigger and scarier but I wasn't going to get closer to check that possibility.

21. I am right handed.

22. I do not suffer fools well which makes life less harmonious when there are so many of them about.

23. I discovered the Internet in 1996.

24. I want to see Ireland before I die.

25. I love seafood.  Kina, Scallops, Mussels, Pippis, Fish, Crayfish... I love seafood best when its eaten after being freshly caught! Heaven was the Trout fishing charter in Taupo or the houseboat holiday we had up north where we caught our own fish, or the scallop season... oh damn now I'm craving seafood.

26. I don't have a tattoo... I always fancied one but the needles and the potential for pain were a good deterrent. Now somewhat older I am pleased I don't have permanent body art that is sagging, fading or totally regrettable.


27. I was a blue-eyed and blonde haired child. I have been dying my hair shades of red for about 22 years. This year i dyed it warm brown. I joke that I'm dying out the bimbo... funnily enough I do feel smarter... maybe its age. One day I will be blondish again... some might call it grey by then.

28. My favorite (non seafood)  dish is crumbed beef Schnitzel *does a Homer impersonation*

29. As a child my mother had to stop me from watching "Black Beauty" because i became so traumatised... Walt Disney has a lot to answer for!

30. I think I may have Gypsy blood. I get stir crazy and feel the need to move... often. Now as a home owner, to compensate for my wanderlust I rearrange all of the furniture. I use to have a blind Lhasa Apso (small dog) who would wander around the house cautiously after hearing the sounds of furniture being shifted. He knew it was a veritable minefield of things to walk into, trip over and get stuck in. If I listened really hard I swear I could almost hear him muttering obscenities about me in his head. Now he is dead and buried and my partner has discovered he has a compulsive re-arranger. Sadly he doesn't keep his thoughts in his head like the dog did.

31. I have had a hysterectomy.  All i have left is the egg factory.

32. I am pro-choice. I was once pro-life. But with age and life I have changed my mind. I'm a woman I am allowed to. I despise those people who stand outside clinics emotionally and mentally abusing the attendees. If I was a murderous soul I would probably run those placard touting bullies over for being sanctimonious

No comments:

Post a Comment