World Of Warcraft

My Ramblings and Occasional Ranting
About Achievements, Addiction and Guild Administration

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Do you have a pocket protector?

Stereotypes suck.

  • I play WoW and I don't live in my parents basement.
  • I play WoW and I am not a fat geeky little boy who has no social life. 
  • I got a haircut and a real job. 
  • I shower regularly

After a recent influx of new recruits, it got me thinking about the dynamics of the people in game Vs peoples perception of Geeks being the only ones who play MMORPG's.




Perhaps the make up of the guild is due to my selection process but I do think its a pretty good representation of the wider World of Warcraft (Minus the idiots whom I either don't recruit or kick pretty quickly once discovered)

I did a quick snapshot of some of our more regular raiders and came up with the following useless information:

14 woman
41 men

There are ten family units in guild made up as follows:

Five couples with no children in guild
Two Brothers
Mother, Father, Son
Mother, Father, Daughter
Mother, Father, two Sons
Father and Son

Our youngest member is 14/15 years old and our eldest is over 40 (not going to be specific to avoid comments about geriatrics living in their parents basements playing WoW)

There are a lot more female players in More than Raids than there were in my previous guild but I suspect that is to do with the "Boys Club" that the previous one was.

So all this is really useless information except that it supports my original  assertion that stereotypes suck.  We aren't all spotty faced kids hanging out in our parents basements, we are families, and working people, stay at home mums, students, retired folk and folk between jobs. Just like the world outside our doors we have a diverse world within our monitors.

The biggest difference is that people can behave at their worst in this world knowing there is little or no consequence. They behave in a way that most people outside wouldn't even think of doing for fear that mum would give them a thrashing :P

I celebrate the wonderful Diversity we have in guild and hope that now we are doing more progression raiding we don't lose the wonderful sense of community and camaraderie we currently have......

(and for a teaser...Although I am very happy with the wonderful crew I have, nothing is ever perfect... keep an eye out for my future "Drama Queens" post.... )

oh and footnote: the "Living at home with mum/dad/both" seems to be more prevalent with DK's... hardly a surprise there.

1 comment:

  1. Agree. I think there was some research done that showed that your average WoW player actually treated their bodies better than most. It also showed that you average player was older than the teenage sterotype and that the game attracts more educated people.

    Check out http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/gateway_demographics.html. Not sure which survey had this information... but all of the info on that site is just fascinating.

    ReplyDelete