World Of Warcraft

My Ramblings and Occasional Ranting
About Achievements, Addiction and Guild Administration

Friday, July 30, 2010

Life is messy

Real life is messy and then there are the days its REALLY messy. 

Life for the last month or so for me has been of the REALLY messy kind. 



Sometimes its good to have an alternative to lose yourself in and that's why I love WoW... Its a good stress release, a good distraction, a good leveller..

and the $14 a month to take away my Real life is at times a DAMN good investment... Its a pity when I log off those messy bits come back.

I recently became aware of an interesting point of law in regards to the taping of phone conversations. Many people inaccurately believe that they cant be recorded in a phone conversation unless both parties are aware and have provided consent to being recorded.

"AN ORDINARY CITIZEN'S RIGHTS"

YOU CANNOT SNOOP ON OTHERS BUT THERE IS AN IMPORTANT EXCEPTION!
If you are one of the participants in a private conversation then you can tape it and use it in evidence.
But you must be one of the parties to the
conversation.


This is interesting to me because I was one of the people who believed you couldn't be recorded without being advised prior to the conversation.

It became relevant to me AFTER I became aware that an individual (that is to say not a company but your "Average Joe") has recordings of all phone conversation received or made from his phone. This is an individual I have to have dealings with in the course of my employment and I have told my employer that now I am not comfortable receiving or making any calls to this person and would prefer ALL communication to be in writing.

Personally there is nothing in the calls that is an issue but the fact that:
a) I was recorded unbeknown to me
b) I don't have my own recordings to compare these transcripts to
c) The transcripts are open to "Manipulation
d) The transcripts are open to interpretation. ( we all know that something in typing may be read differently than it was said - the tone, the inflection of your voice, punctuation, timing etc)
e) Why the hell does an "Average Joe" have software that transcribes all incoming and outgoing calls?

So thank god for my $14 of distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment