What size is a good size for a guild?
My belief is that Guilds that invite too many people, that don't pick quality members, and invite new people all the time are generally less organized and less powerful as people can be more transient and the ones that you should be keeping are the ones you are losing because they cant stand the trade quality carryon in guild chat.
However, on the flip side it can be easier to find people to group with in a larger guild.
So I investigated what is the definition of a large guild Vs a small guild.
Wiki advises:
- Most people consider a small guild one with less than 100 members. A guild with less than 50 members is getting really small, but most guilds start out that way.(so on individual accounts we are a small guild?)
- Most people consider a large guild one with more than 100 members (usually more than 150). A cohesive, large guild can be a very good thing, but many large guilds have an active core and a bunch of loners.(oh but wait on actual toons we are a big guild?)
I have read the following comments others have posted elsewhere about such things:
Management of guilds over 250 does become a challenge. Often times the guild is at this point adding new members and loosing some others so quickly it is hard for the GM to keep track.
and from a Gm who at one point had over 500 members and is now at around 100
When I had the really large number of characters in my guild, I think I spent more type answering questions than playing so it really grated on my last nerve.
Some guilds will accept players based on their class, gear, etc. and may as a result have balloning numbers
Some guilds, like MTR, tends to focus on how the player interacts with others
Some guilds focus on player attendance and some others focus on nothing at all.
As a result there is room for everyone in WoW, but not everyone in a guild. What a wonderful world, in which everyone is accepted somewhere. No, we can't all be in raiding guilds, but not all of us want to be in one.
However i digressed:
I found a census and investigated how many active alliance 80's were on the server and the result was 7677
More than raids has come in as the 7th biggest alliance guild on server for population of level 80's. We had 100 active level 80's and the largest guild Stop and stare had 169. which then took me off to an interesting thought:
Ascended is a guild I know has downed everything in ICC except the Lichking yet they have 83 level 80's. Its kinda frightening to think we have more 80's in guild than most of the other guilds on server.
So how big is to big? I believe we are plenty big enough and I PooPoo those who think we will have ""Cliques" developing. As a guild we are already one big clique!


No comments:
Post a Comment