I instigated a new iniative recently for the ICC raid content.. I havent really had time to see how it will work long term yet - but thought I would post it here for the people who read my blog in the hope they will find something that helps in their guild.
I tend to fly by the seat of my pants a lot of the time not really being sure what im doing - i guess all i can continue to do is try to do the best for and by the majority in guild.
ICC - Cats THREE step, FIVE week Programme to Guild Progression....(Hopefully)
Within the guild I have always tried to manage things in a way that allowed everyone who wanted it the opportunity to progress in raiding. With ICC that has got very complicated as there were far more bodies wanting it than there were spaces. So after seeking some input from others I came up with a three step five week programme. It wont make everyone 100% happy but it will in the long run allow all those who want in to be in.....
STEP ONE - ASSESSMENT- 01 April-13th AprilDuring this Two Week period specific people were selected to form a core raid group that will continue to progress into ICC. The spots in this 10 man group will be on a first come first served basis due to there being more than 10 people in the group. I selected this group based on gear, ability, and dedication to guild raiding... the hardcore old timers mostly.
Then based on the following pre requisites I invited other guildies to apply to be ICC raiders and set up a new rank inguild called ICC Cats. This rank is for all the guildies who are geared and capable of completing High End Raid content. ICC boss fights, Ulduar Hardmodes, ToGC and the like. BY EVENT INVITE ONLY
The ONLY people who will be given this guild rank will be people who have proven they are ready.
"Proven im ready?" I hear you mutter... How Do They Do that?
STEP TWO - EXPOSURE- 14th April- 4th MayDuring this Three Week period the group that has been progressing in ICC will combine with those who have completed assessments. Several ten man raid groups will then progress through ICC on seperate nights giving the maximum number of people exposure to the bosses.
STEP THREE - PROGRESSION- 5th May >>>From the 5th May onwards we will then run two 10 man ICC raid groups weekly. One group will run Thursday and Saturday nights and another on Friday and Sunday nights. These will also be on a first come first served basis of those who have ICC Cat ranks.
(we will also be looking to do 25 man content when we are ready as a group)
I tend to fly by the seat of my pants a lot of the time not really being sure what im doing - i guess all i can continue to do is try to do the best for and by the majority in guild.
ICC - Cats THREE step, FIVE week Programme to Guild Progression....(Hopefully)
Within the guild I have always tried to manage things in a way that allowed everyone who wanted it the opportunity to progress in raiding. With ICC that has got very complicated as there were far more bodies wanting it than there were spaces. So after seeking some input from others I came up with a three step five week programme. It wont make everyone 100% happy but it will in the long run allow all those who want in to be in.....
STEP ONE - ASSESSMENT- 01 April-13th AprilDuring this Two Week period specific people were selected to form a core raid group that will continue to progress into ICC. The spots in this 10 man group will be on a first come first served basis due to there being more than 10 people in the group. I selected this group based on gear, ability, and dedication to guild raiding... the hardcore old timers mostly.
Then based on the following pre requisites I invited other guildies to apply to be ICC raiders and set up a new rank inguild called ICC Cats. This rank is for all the guildies who are geared and capable of completing High End Raid content. ICC boss fights, Ulduar Hardmodes, ToGC and the like. BY EVENT INVITE ONLY
The ONLY people who will be given this guild rank will be people who have proven they are ready.
"Proven im ready?" I hear you mutter... How Do They Do that?
- I will assess all guildies who desire a spot in this rank - I will be assessing ability to play their toon well, ability to stay the hell out of the fire, to react and respond. Not until I am convinced they are ready will they be promoted.
- Competently clear ToC - show me youre ready. (See above)
- Have gear that isnt going to melt at the sight of a boss - I have a spreadsheet of an indication of what raid content guildies should be able to complete competently - it usually takes me about two hours+ a week to keep up-dated
- Have correctly enhanced gear -Are they missing gems or enchants, incorrectly enchanted or gemmed gear, under hit/def cap - get it right or seek guidence ( in the first phase of assessment of those who showed an interest - I assessed the above and sent them ingame mails advising what was wrong)
- If a DPS you will need to be consistently averaging over 4k DPS
- Be prepared to dedicate at least 2 hours to this ranks raid nights that you attend - people who leave consistently after getting a drop or early will be demoted
- Have enough gold for repairs - Progression raiding is costly - wipes happen- live with it!
- Attend other guild events - if people only turn up for the cream of the crop runs with the guild then they are not a team player and dont have a long future inguild.
- Be a decent person - if they are "That Guy" in raids they wont get invites and I will be re-assessing suitability in guild.
STEP TWO - EXPOSURE- 14th April- 4th MayDuring this Three Week period the group that has been progressing in ICC will combine with those who have completed assessments. Several ten man raid groups will then progress through ICC on seperate nights giving the maximum number of people exposure to the bosses.
STEP THREE - PROGRESSION- 5th May >>>From the 5th May onwards we will then run two 10 man ICC raid groups weekly. One group will run Thursday and Saturday nights and another on Friday and Sunday nights. These will also be on a first come first served basis of those who have ICC Cat ranks.
(we will also be looking to do 25 man content when we are ready as a group)

Before we had half our raiders leave (sigh) we were mulling over such a program - to have the "A team" learn the encounters and then teach the B team(s) the encounters as the A team splits up between the groups.
ReplyDeleteThe problem with that approach, and this is only a problem with certain personality types, is that the A team feels "we've been busting our asses on this content and wiping over and over, and now you want us to teach the noobs and spend weeks wiping on stuff that we were just CLEARING? Screw you." And if you DON'T split up the A-team, the B-team(s) feel like second-class citizens.
You're right, nobody is going to be 100% happy, and I think your plan is a good, viable, practical and SMART one. I'm REALLY interested to see the results.
Hey Cat, I have to be honest, 2 10 man runs is very devisive. You will get in a postion whereby people will moan a is better than b, or they are only in that grp cos of so and so, and worse if someone from b joins a cos someone from a is offline and inturn that means there not enough for b to run.
ReplyDeleteI understand what you are trying to do, like i said been here before. I hope you manage to get it to work out for you. The sooner you can merge to 25 mans the less time there is for things to go wrong.
Keep us updated on how things go