How does one fund a guild bank? What do you put in it? Who can access it and what about repairs?
All things I ponder when I dont have 30 other things I'm thinking about. I stumbled across some other bloggers ponderings about Guild banks too and discovered some fascinating details.
Some guilds run the bank like the benevolent aunt who gives you candy and cash everytime you visit. Some banks subsidise the guildies purchases and some are fulltime jobs in themselves managing the gold empire they are creating.
In our guild bank it works on a give and take system subsidised by myself and a few major contributors. There are, as with all such things, those who are Givers and those who are Takers but mostly it works pretty well. I have always kept an eye on "Abuse" of the system and where it appeared that people were withdrawing for profit or excessively I would send them a nice little "Big Mother is watching you email". These mails usually resulted in the items being returned or financial compensation being made and the abuser changing their ways. I now have an AMAZING beancounter who keeps an eye on stocks and excessive withdrawing and items needed. She is one of the biggest contributors to the guild in so many ways and I know things are in safe and competant hands with her -I gave her full access and she didnt run away giggling with full bags - that in itself has to count for something. Shes the perfet person for the job in that she has eagle eyes, a strong sense of whats right and wrong and also the personality to not charge off and gkick people left right and centre for perceived wrong doings. Like me she monitors usage to see patterns (we had a rather clever guildie who would withdraw gems every couple of days for sale... the withdrawals were never obviously excessive so may have gone unnoticed. Unfortunately for him the overseer's are cleverer! Yes I know cleverer isnt a real word)
We have:
We also have a weekly lottery. Tickts cost 1g each with toons being able to purchase a maximum of 20 tickets.
♥Only EVEN ticket numbers are sold, and if an ODD number is rolled nobody wins.
♥If nobody wins another roll will be done for a second prize of 20% of the jackpot
(the remainder of the gold will roll over to the starting gold for next weeks draw)
♥If nobody wins the second prize the whole jackpot will go to the next lottery
♥From the winning prize 10% will be deducted to go to the guild
The biggest winner received 1513 Gold which is pretty impressive considering the size of the guild.
So with the planned changes to the guild ranks and the options for raiding I started to ponder the guild repairs option. Do we pay for repairs for the ICC Progression raiders? And how would we earn the money to cover these repairs? I read of one guild that has 70,000 gold in the bank and pays about 15,000 in repairs weekly. OMG OMG OMG
I have read of other guilds requiring a weekly contribution from all its members, I have read of guilds that charge 100g for offspec loot wins, I have heard of BoE item drops being the property of the guild -offered to guildies through a tender process with bids starting at around 50% of the AH price. Items not purchased on the tender are then sold on the AH. I have read of guildes that have a full time auctioneer guildleader who just makes the money appear. Personally im not keen to spend all my WoW time making money to fund other peoples raiding.
I can see the benefits of providing guild repairs for progression raiding - people are less likely to get bitchy about wipes (They happen you know!) and how much the repairs are costing. People are more likely to stick with the raid knowing that its not hitting them in the pocket.
So I talked to my partner about it and his response was "Why should the guild have to fund the repairs? Gold isnt hard to make".
He has a point. Even my son who doesnt farm, doesnt have professions levelled, spends most of his ingame time doing BG's with the QQ's, can make a pretty good income with minimal effort - Being 15 the minimal effort is obviously a selling point for him!
Sidenote: When my partner started making gold on the AH we would pay the kid a weekly allowance ingame of 200g. This would be gone with in seconds of it arriving in his hand - not much different from RL really - only difference was that IRL he blew it on cheap chinese import rubbish that would be broken before the day was over or on bottles of coke or junk food and ingame he purchased trainsets and the like.
Well even the kid has over 2000g -so yea gold is easy to come by. 5 dailies takes half an hour and theres over 100g. So what are people doing ingame when not raiding that prevents them from being able to cover repairs? Or am I suppose to bump and grind and wheel and deal in my game time so they can stockpile their riches whilst I pay their way?
So I have decided to run a poll on the guild forum as to what people want. Do they want the guild to fund repairs for the ICC rank and if they do what funding option do they want None of the options will include me having to give up my game time to finance other peoples raiding.
I will let you know how we get on.
All things I ponder when I dont have 30 other things I'm thinking about. I stumbled across some other bloggers ponderings about Guild banks too and discovered some fascinating details.
Some guilds run the bank like the benevolent aunt who gives you candy and cash everytime you visit. Some banks subsidise the guildies purchases and some are fulltime jobs in themselves managing the gold empire they are creating.
In our guild bank it works on a give and take system subsidised by myself and a few major contributors. There are, as with all such things, those who are Givers and those who are Takers but mostly it works pretty well. I have always kept an eye on "Abuse" of the system and where it appeared that people were withdrawing for profit or excessively I would send them a nice little "Big Mother is watching you email". These mails usually resulted in the items being returned or financial compensation being made and the abuser changing their ways. I now have an AMAZING beancounter who keeps an eye on stocks and excessive withdrawing and items needed. She is one of the biggest contributors to the guild in so many ways and I know things are in safe and competant hands with her -I gave her full access and she didnt run away giggling with full bags - that in itself has to count for something. Shes the perfet person for the job in that she has eagle eyes, a strong sense of whats right and wrong and also the personality to not charge off and gkick people left right and centre for perceived wrong doings. Like me she monitors usage to see patterns (we had a rather clever guildie who would withdraw gems every couple of days for sale... the withdrawals were never obviously excessive so may have gone unnoticed. Unfortunately for him the overseer's are cleverer! Yes I know cleverer isnt a real word)
We have:
- Tab one is a mixture of 16/20 slot bags, vanity pets, quest and rep items and other such rubbish
- Tab two has enchants, cut gems, scopes, leg armor, level 80 (epic) BOE items and the like.
- Tab three is the haberdashery with two stacks of cloth, leather, bolts of cloth and all manner of scales, spiderswebs and other such pretties
- Tab four has uncut gems, eternals, herbs and the like
- Tab five is the raid tab with fishfeasts, flasks, pots, bullets, arrows drums etc
- Tab six is the vault - accessable by the bean counter and my family. Here we keep back up stacks for the other tabs as well the secret treasures like Primordial saronites which are provided to the guild champions to buy ICC patterns.
We also have a weekly lottery. Tickts cost 1g each with toons being able to purchase a maximum of 20 tickets.
♥Only EVEN ticket numbers are sold, and if an ODD number is rolled nobody wins.
♥If nobody wins another roll will be done for a second prize of 20% of the jackpot
(the remainder of the gold will roll over to the starting gold for next weeks draw)
♥If nobody wins the second prize the whole jackpot will go to the next lottery
♥From the winning prize 10% will be deducted to go to the guild
The biggest winner received 1513 Gold which is pretty impressive considering the size of the guild.
So with the planned changes to the guild ranks and the options for raiding I started to ponder the guild repairs option. Do we pay for repairs for the ICC Progression raiders? And how would we earn the money to cover these repairs? I read of one guild that has 70,000 gold in the bank and pays about 15,000 in repairs weekly. OMG OMG OMG
I have read of other guilds requiring a weekly contribution from all its members, I have read of guilds that charge 100g for offspec loot wins, I have heard of BoE item drops being the property of the guild -offered to guildies through a tender process with bids starting at around 50% of the AH price. Items not purchased on the tender are then sold on the AH. I have read of guildes that have a full time auctioneer guildleader who just makes the money appear. Personally im not keen to spend all my WoW time making money to fund other peoples raiding.
I can see the benefits of providing guild repairs for progression raiding - people are less likely to get bitchy about wipes (They happen you know!) and how much the repairs are costing. People are more likely to stick with the raid knowing that its not hitting them in the pocket.
So I talked to my partner about it and his response was "Why should the guild have to fund the repairs? Gold isnt hard to make".
He has a point. Even my son who doesnt farm, doesnt have professions levelled, spends most of his ingame time doing BG's with the QQ's, can make a pretty good income with minimal effort - Being 15 the minimal effort is obviously a selling point for him!
Sidenote: When my partner started making gold on the AH we would pay the kid a weekly allowance ingame of 200g. This would be gone with in seconds of it arriving in his hand - not much different from RL really - only difference was that IRL he blew it on cheap chinese import rubbish that would be broken before the day was over or on bottles of coke or junk food and ingame he purchased trainsets and the like.
Well even the kid has over 2000g -so yea gold is easy to come by. 5 dailies takes half an hour and theres over 100g. So what are people doing ingame when not raiding that prevents them from being able to cover repairs? Or am I suppose to bump and grind and wheel and deal in my game time so they can stockpile their riches whilst I pay their way?
So I have decided to run a poll on the guild forum as to what people want. Do they want the guild to fund repairs for the ICC rank and if they do what funding option do they want None of the options will include me having to give up my game time to finance other peoples raiding.
I will let you know how we get on.

As one of your pack horses, sorry tanks, I see a fair share of the repair bills and they don't bother me. No guild repairs wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
ReplyDeleteMy view on a guild bank is that it should be a self sustaining entity and grow with donations.
If I take something substantial, I put a 'reasonable' amount of gold back in or equivalent items. For example today, I took out 2 runed orbs. I replaced it with 2 Ebonwave and 2 Spellweave.
We should probably come up with some more fixed charges for people withdrawing items. e.g. Taking and epic gem require a 100g donation.
B
I'm the same, I can't take something without putting the equivalent or more in :) I also try and drop a few things in the bank now and then just for the hell of it - I don't need tonnes of gold and someone else in guild may be able to use the stuff I was just going to sell anyway. And ye, repairs are a part of the game, I'm more than happy to pay for every single repair I have to do...I actually rarely look at the repair cost, just click on the repair guy wait for the sound of money going out of my pockets and then run off ready to face the next battle.
ReplyDeleteI go one step further and have an addon called auditor (which keeps track of all my gold comings and goings) which has a setting to auto repair whenever I open a window with somone who can repair. It means my gears in pristine condition and I never notice the repair costs
ReplyDeleteI generally dont look. Exceptions always occur of course - like the olde world fight where my gun was destroyed in one hit - At the time it was interesting to me how much a gun repair costs.. now I dont recall. I also look how much my repairs are when someone is bitching about repairs.. So that I can tell them to pull their heads in, I paid $XX to repair as well, we all have repairs and there are 9 other people paying to wipe as well,difference is they arent spazzing! (Yes I have little patience for complainers)
ReplyDeleteI actually make most of my gold (for repairs or otherwise) from..wait for it....RAIDING! Being a ranged dps who stands behind the front lines, and a hunter that can feign death, my gold from loots is almost always higher than repair costs. Any wipe-fest runs I do such as ICC are usually well subsidised enough by the Naxx Sundays I lead
ReplyDelete