So I was in a guild run of Sunwell Plateau last night (we do "Olde Worlde" content weekly on a Monday night for a bit of fun and because Im an achievement junkie - and a further digression- DAMN Sunwell is hard - ok so it would be a heap easier if we knew what we were doing before we went in, a bit of boss strat goes a long way, or if we had run it enough times to know it in our sleep. But its a great leveller to take 12x80's in - blind leading the blind!)...where was I.. oh yes so we were raiding and I get a random message. This in itself isnt note worthy as its a common thing. Be it someone asking if they can get a ginvite, someone wanting to give me advice about a guildie, a "gamemaster" telling me they have failed to send me a pet I should have received and I can pick it up by going to a certain website and logging in with my wow details or guildies to tell me they murdered their neighbour what should they do? Ok so That hasn't happened yet but I reckon if I do this long enough, anything is possible!
So what made this particular message unusual was that it came from the GM of another guild (I have yet to find the memory bank that will remind me why this guy is familiar to me) to invite me to a GM chat channel. I gather this was his idea to encourage a bit of communication between Gm's about "Bad Eggs" The guild ninjas, the hoppers and the asses. It has been up and running for a day so I was invited in on the ground floor - I did comment on being flattered that our little guild was noticed and his response was that we were a special interest to him TWINGE "A special interest to you, whys that?" - WARNING WARNING WILL ROBINSON - Breathe
I must admit on one level this appeals to me - not so much to protect the guild from asses ending up in the ranks, as I think I have a pretty good people-ometer and I am prepared to give everyone a shot to be a decent human being whilst keeping my eyes open ...
But the possibilities appeal to me... can you imagine a small portion of the World of Warcraft that has accountability for your actions... not a judge jury and executioner system - but one where the more you behave like a douche bag the more your name gets mentioned and remembered. The more you screw people over the more that people know that you behave like a jerk.
As I say Im prepared to give people the opportunity to see the light and be good and decent people but there is a small percentage of the people on realm who behave in such dispicable ways that it reflects on everyone else. People who get a kick out of behaving in ways that would have their mother getting out the belt and pulling them across her knees.
For every thief there are 100 players who would give you the shirt off their back. For every self-focused, self absorbed, arrogant, ignorant, rude and obnoxious bully - there are hundereds of generous, kind, helpful, tolerant, people prepared to give you some time. But for new players and "delicate" players and young players that come across these asses... it gives them a bad impression. They can be hurt, they can be put off the game, they can even be led to believe its better to screw over another before they do it to you and the next generation of fools is born. People modify their behaviour to those around them because they want to fit in. They are surrounded by scoundrels and their own standards start to slide because "Society" says this is the way to behave.
So yes the "Concept" appeals to me.. but then lets be honest... some of those "Bad eggs" are GM's too.
Someone suggested that we should do a GM only raid - my response was yea right who would be the Lootmaster ( there is a Gm who was in the channel at the time who is notorious for his screwed loot rules - they seem to go something like this... if i want it im having it - if i dont then i will pick who my next favorite boot licker is to receive it)
And then there are the other things that the cynic in me wonders... What will be some of the motivations and intentions of those using the chat channel? - To throw out occassional pug crumbs to the smaller guilds to come and see raid content they might not otherwise see... then snatch their core/best members to swell their own ranks? To find new developing guilds to absorb? Because lets be honest - we are GM's - there is a limited supply of people to recruit on the realm and an even more limited supply of tanks and raid heals.
How do you protect the smaller guilds from the larger ones?
I like to consider myself a somewhat moral person - my morals might not be everyones cup of tea but at least I have some sort of concience and moral barometer. I recruit - I do it in randoms by jokingly inviting people on other servers to join the guild, I do it by posting in trade channel and I do it by chatting privately to people who we pug with. But I dont do it by finding a nice little group of people to actively entice to the guild at the expense of another guild. I consider reputation to be important.... do I think others on the server have the same baometer ... frankly NO.
So yes I will hang around and see how this new iniative progresses. I will be there to offer advice and suggestions to those who ask or are interested but I will do so whilst watching my back too... and maybe my guild can be part of one suggestion that could be a hugely amusing realm first...( cant tell you all the secrets) :)
So what made this particular message unusual was that it came from the GM of another guild (I have yet to find the memory bank that will remind me why this guy is familiar to me) to invite me to a GM chat channel. I gather this was his idea to encourage a bit of communication between Gm's about "Bad Eggs" The guild ninjas, the hoppers and the asses. It has been up and running for a day so I was invited in on the ground floor - I did comment on being flattered that our little guild was noticed and his response was that we were a special interest to him TWINGE "A special interest to you, whys that?" - WARNING WARNING WILL ROBINSON - Breathe
I must admit on one level this appeals to me - not so much to protect the guild from asses ending up in the ranks, as I think I have a pretty good people-ometer and I am prepared to give everyone a shot to be a decent human being whilst keeping my eyes open ...
But the possibilities appeal to me... can you imagine a small portion of the World of Warcraft that has accountability for your actions... not a judge jury and executioner system - but one where the more you behave like a douche bag the more your name gets mentioned and remembered. The more you screw people over the more that people know that you behave like a jerk.
As I say Im prepared to give people the opportunity to see the light and be good and decent people but there is a small percentage of the people on realm who behave in such dispicable ways that it reflects on everyone else. People who get a kick out of behaving in ways that would have their mother getting out the belt and pulling them across her knees.
For every thief there are 100 players who would give you the shirt off their back. For every self-focused, self absorbed, arrogant, ignorant, rude and obnoxious bully - there are hundereds of generous, kind, helpful, tolerant, people prepared to give you some time. But for new players and "delicate" players and young players that come across these asses... it gives them a bad impression. They can be hurt, they can be put off the game, they can even be led to believe its better to screw over another before they do it to you and the next generation of fools is born. People modify their behaviour to those around them because they want to fit in. They are surrounded by scoundrels and their own standards start to slide because "Society" says this is the way to behave.
So yes the "Concept" appeals to me.. but then lets be honest... some of those "Bad eggs" are GM's too.
Someone suggested that we should do a GM only raid - my response was yea right who would be the Lootmaster ( there is a Gm who was in the channel at the time who is notorious for his screwed loot rules - they seem to go something like this... if i want it im having it - if i dont then i will pick who my next favorite boot licker is to receive it)
And then there are the other things that the cynic in me wonders... What will be some of the motivations and intentions of those using the chat channel? - To throw out occassional pug crumbs to the smaller guilds to come and see raid content they might not otherwise see... then snatch their core/best members to swell their own ranks? To find new developing guilds to absorb? Because lets be honest - we are GM's - there is a limited supply of people to recruit on the realm and an even more limited supply of tanks and raid heals.
How do you protect the smaller guilds from the larger ones?
I like to consider myself a somewhat moral person - my morals might not be everyones cup of tea but at least I have some sort of concience and moral barometer. I recruit - I do it in randoms by jokingly inviting people on other servers to join the guild, I do it by posting in trade channel and I do it by chatting privately to people who we pug with. But I dont do it by finding a nice little group of people to actively entice to the guild at the expense of another guild. I consider reputation to be important.... do I think others on the server have the same baometer ... frankly NO.
So yes I will hang around and see how this new iniative progresses. I will be there to offer advice and suggestions to those who ask or are interested but I will do so whilst watching my back too... and maybe my guild can be part of one suggestion that could be a hugely amusing realm first...( cant tell you all the secrets) :)

"hugely amusing" - You have my attention
ReplyDeleteI will update all once it has happened, if it does :)
ReplyDelete10 Guild strong Hogger raid?
ReplyDelete