
So I stumbled across the World of Warcraft by accident.
My son had been nagging me to let him have the game "Oh pleeaase MUM" " Its really cheap to buy" "I will be sooooo good if you just get me this game"
How many times have I heard these pleadings, for the living "wants" it was always accompanied by promises to feed, pick up poo, groom etc - all which last less than a week. For the non-living "wants" the promises to do homework, housework, be on his best behaviour etc also last less than a week. Sometimes the promises actually last to the end of the day.
So on this occassion I was putting my foot down NO and let me repeat thats a RESOUNDING NO. I am not buying a game that those thieving sods then want to charge me each month for you to use. What a rip off and what kind of idiot buys a game they have to keep paying for? Well not this idiot and I didnt.
Unfortunately I forgot to announce to the wider Universe that my "NO" had been resounding and in not to long a time my son came home with a copy of the game that his Uncle Bob had been convinced was a really good buy - less than $10!
And so it was installed on the understanding that it was only for the trial period. This time around I didnt bother resounding the statement - I can see a losing battle a mile away.
So my son set up a Warlock and went of into the greater gaming world. He very quickly realised that he liked the game and yes we gave in and got him a one month extension. ONE MONTH ONLY - are we all clear on that? Good!
The end of the month was approaching and my son realised the best way to keep his game was to hook one of us. Mother Resisted - Step father set up a toon and began questing ... *hooked*
Mother starts getting bitchy because Stepdad and Child are always on that Game.
So Stepdad and child start a two pronged attack.... Stepdad reminds Mother how much fun Sacred(My favorite RPG) was and that there was no harm in setting up a character together and just doing some quests...
All you do is pick a class - ohhh a hunter, I like hunters
Just pick a race - oh a dwarf of course short and cuddly - just like me (when im not being bitchy)
...... and so the addiction began.
Step dad had a priest but as mentioned I prefer Hunters so after dinner of an evening We would sit down together at our one aging computer and quest and level on the Hunter. I discovered skinning and leatherworking. I cant really explain why they appeal to me but there is something very satisfying about skinning the thing you have just had to fight off to remain alive. I played conservatively and got a grand level before I suffered my first fatility. I was devastated when it happened!
Levelling was slow - there was no hurry. The game was just a filler for those bitter winter evenings. One night my partner snuck off and tamed a wolf (Tuvok) outside of Ironforge, my first ever pet. I wanted a cat but didnt have the heart to dismiss the dog and go find a cat. Besides we were sharing the account and it would have been petty to be pissy about not being the one to tame the pet or name it. (ok so im not above being petty -Inside I was very pissy!)
But now at level 80 I love Tuvok - I hardly ever take out Rakishiri, the cat i subsequently did tame.
Our levelling was pretty much done guildless. Just two people questing, rubbing along beside all these other unknowns ingame.
Until One fateful night
I was standing outside this village FULL of undead.God I hate the plaguelands How in the hell was i going to get in to do this quest? And then like a prayer answered along came a big strong Male dwarf, another hunter. He charged in with me cowering at his heels. Everything dropped dead around him. I stood thre in a mound of corpses looking at this hunter dwarf with eyes of worship. How did he do that? and then he took me under his wing and taught me the golden rule to a lowbie hunter - Agility Agility Agility.
So i trotted around after him, watching him kill stuff and chit chatting about hunters and the game and then next thing I know we are now a Guilded hunter.
No comments:
Post a Comment